February marks American Heart Month, a timely reminder to prioritize your heart health. It's an opportune moment to reflect and take proactive steps towards a healthier heart. Consider this:
- Heart disease is the leading cause of death for men and women in the U.S.
- Rotating nursing shifts are linked to a higher risk of heart disease.
- Nurses have a 16% higher likelihood of developing heart problems.
Take Care of Your Heart
As a traveler, you spend long hours working and traveling cross different time zones and different climates. You encounter dense cities, remote landscapes, and everything in between. That’s a lot of change. Taking care of your heart can help you keep up and care for others while you’re on the go.
That’s why we provide tools to help you stay healthy.
Resources for You
Here are 4 ways our benefits help you look out for your heart as a Health Carousel traveler:
- Adopting Healthy Habits: Build better habits around nutrition, fitness, sleep and more. Use Real Appeal, a free benefit through our insurance, UHC, to help you get started. This program includes digital tools for online coaching, group sessions, fitness videos, and activity trackers.
- Fueling with food: Eat nutritious meals and snacks throughout the day. LifeMart offers significant discounts on groceries and many of the major food delivery services, making healthy meal options more affordable and convenient. This can help make it easier for travel nurses to maintain a healthy diet even when they are busy or have limited access to nutritious food.
- Prioritizing annual care: Keep up with routine doc visits to monitor blood pressure and cholesterol. With our UHC health plans, we make it easier by including coverage for annual in-network wellness care visits.
- Minimizing stress: Try meditation or breathing techniques to stay centered when busy. For added stress support, take advantage of our four mental health resources available to travelers.
Not all heart disease is preventable, but positive steps can help. As a traveler, you’re focused on patient care and we’re focused on caring for you.