Travel nurses not only need to consider their hourly wage but also their housing options. In this article, we will explore the different types of housing available to travel nurses and how to find the best deals. From extended-stay hotels to find the right temporary housing, we will cover everything you need to know about travel nurse housing.
How Do Travel Nurses Find Housing?
Travel nurses typically have various resources at their disposal when it comes to finding temporary accommodations for their assignments. These range from temporary housing websites to online housing groups specifically catering to travel nurses. Additionally, healthcare workers may receive assistance from their employer or agency in locating suitable housing options or receiving a housing stipend to cover living expenses.
When beginning their search, travel nurses should first consider the location of their travel nurse assignment. This includes checking proximity to their workplace, local amenities, and the overall safety of the area. They can start by searching their workplace's zip code on various travel nurse housing sites or within Facebook housing groups dedicated to their profession.
Finding the Best Deals on Extended Stay Hotels
One of the most popular and affordable housing options among travel nurses is extended-stay hotels. Mainstay Suites and Extended Stay America, for example, offer weekly and monthly rates specifically designed for travelers on longer assignments. These hotels often come with all the necessary amenities such as a fully equipped kitchen, laundry facilities, and Wi-Fi access.
To find the best deals on these accommodations, travel nurses can explore various booking websites that offer discounts or promotions. Alternatively, they can directly contact the hotel to negotiate better rates or inquire about any current special offers. Additionally, signing up for hotel rewards programs and utilizing travel nurse-specific discounts can greatly reduce costs.
Finding the Best Travel Nurse Housing
While some travel nurses may prefer the convenience and simplicity of staying in an extended-stay hotel, others might opt for a more personalized and private rental experience. Websites like Airbnb and VRBO allow travelers to search for short-term rental options that suit their preferences, such as furnished apartments or private rooms in shared homes.
In addition to vacation rental websites, healthcare professionals can also explore other temporary housing websites such as Furnished Finder or Travel Nurse Housing. These platforms are designed specifically for travel nurses and connect property owners offering fully furnished and turnkey accommodations with healthcare workers on temporary assignments.
Top Housing Sites for Travel Nurses
Among the various housing sites available to healthcare workers, some stand out as the most reliable and efficient resources for finding travel nurse housing. The top temporary housing websites include:
- Furnished Finder
- Travel Nurse Housing
Similarly, nurses can also rely on travel nurse-specific Facebook housing groups to connect with other professionals and explore potential housing options. Examples of these Facebook housing groups include:
- Travel Nurse Housing - The Gypsy Nurse
- Furnished Finder: Travel Nurse Housing Group
- Travel Nurse & Healthcare Professional Housing Rentals
Housing Options for Healthcare Professionals
Healthcare professionals like travel nurses have a wide range of housing options available to them. In addition to extended-stay hotels and online rental platforms, they may also consider the following options:
- Company-provided housing: Some employers or agencies offer furnished accommodations as part of the travel nurse's compensation package.
- Colleague referrals: Reaching out to other travel nurses or coworkers for housing suggestions or potential shared living arrangements is another option.
- Local temporary housing agencies: Exploring local rental agencies that specialize in temporary housing for healthcare professionals could lead to finding convenient and suitable accommodations.
Tips on Finding the Right Travel Nurse Housing
Finding the perfect travel nurse housing demands a balance of research, negotiation, and networking. Here are some tips to ensure a successful search:
- Start early: Begin researching housing options as soon as the assignment is confirmed. This allows for ample time to compare options and identify the best deal.
- Set a budget: Determine a housing budget based on the provided housing stipend to help narrow down the options.
- Utilize multiple resources: Leverage housing sites, Facebook housing groups, and personal networks to expand the range of available options.
- Research the area: Investigate important factors such as safety, proximity to work, local amenities, and transportation options.
- Read reviews: Always check reviews and ratings before finalizing a rental to gain insight from past tenants.
- Ask for help: Reach out to fellow travel nurses or agency representatives for guidance and advice.
Amenities for Traveling Nurses
Travel nurses should prioritize selecting housing options that offer essential amenities to make their stay comfortable and convenient. Some key amenities to consider include:
- Furnished living spaces
- Wi-Fi access
- On-site laundry facilities
- Fully equipped kitchen
- Parking availability
- Flexible lease terms
- Proximity to public transportation
Exploring Housing Options for Travel Nurses
Travel nursing provides healthcare professionals an opportunity to expand their careers by accepting temporary assignments across the country. However, travel nurse housing options can be a challenge, and finding temporary housing websites to facilitate this process is essential.
The first step to start looking at affordable housing options is to understand your compensation package. Most agencies provide a housing stipend, which is part of the travel nurse's salary package. The housing stipend amount varies depending on the location of the assignment and the agency, so knowing your budget beforehand helps narrow down the options. There are also travel nurse housing sites that cater to healthcare workers and facilitate their search for suitable accommodation.
Some popular travel nurse housing sites include travel nurse housing groups on Facebook, travel nurse housing site forums, and websites that list temporary housing options specific to healthcare professionals. Another option is to look for Mainstay Suites and Extended-Stay America hotels, which offer discounted rates for long-term stays. The following briefly explores different housing options.
How to Choose the Right Temporary Housing
When assessing travel nurse housing options, it's essential to prioritize factors such as budget, location, amenities, and personal preferences. Here are some tips on choosing the right temporary housing:
1. Budget: Determine your housing allowance or housing stipend and evaluate housing options that fit within your budget. Consider all additional costs, such as utility bills, internet charges, and furniture rental fees, if applicable.
2. Amenities: Evaluate the amenities offered by different housing options, such as laundry facilities, parking spaces, and gym access. Determine which amenities are essential to you and prioritize them in your search.
3. Duration: Consider the length of your travel nurse assignment and choose a temporary housing option that caters to your needs in terms of lease duration and flexibility.
4. Personal Preferences: Take into account your personal preferences, such as proximity to public transport, pet-friendliness, or proximity to parks and recreation areas. This will ensure that you feel comfortable and at home during your stay.
Importance of Location for Travel Nurses
Travel nurses often work long hours, so the location of their temporary housing is crucial. Choosing a housing option close to the healthcare facility can reduce commute time and allow for more personal time and rest. To ensure you find housing within the desired zip code, use temporary housing websites and travel nurse housing site forums specific to the area.
Additionally, consider factors such as safety, convenience, and lifestyle preferences when selecting housing options. For example, some travel nurses might prefer staying in quieter suburban neighborhoods, while others may enjoy being in bustling urban areas. Research the neighborhoods and gather information from locals or reviews online before making a decision.
Tips for Making Housing Arrangements
Here are some helpful tips for securing temporary housing during a travel nurse assignment:
1. Start early: Begin your search ahead of time to ensure you have enough options to choose from. Starting your search early decreases the chances of last-minute issues or complications with your housing arrangements.
2. Utilize housing groups and travel nurse housing site forums: Join Facebook housing groups and forums where travel nurses discuss housing options, share tips, and even find roommates. You can gain valuable insights into specific facilities or neighborhoods through these communities.
3. Contact the housing department at your assigned healthcare facility: Some healthcare facilities have designated departments or personnel to assist travel nurses in finding temporary housing options. They can often provide useful information and resources.
4. Ask fellow travel nurses for recommendations: Connect with other healthcare professionals who have been on similar assignments for recommendations on where to stay. They may share a positive experience or refer you to a trusted housing site.
5. Consider corporate housing or Extended Stay America hotels: These types of accommodations offer fully furnished units designed for long-term stays and often have flexible lease terms. They can be an ideal option for travel nurses due to convenience and additional amenities.
In conclusion, carefully planning and researching your housing options will ensure a smooth transition into your travel nurse assignment. Utilizing housing sites, and housing groups, and consulting with fellow healthcare professionals are just a few steps you can take to find affordable and comfortable temporary housing solutions.